Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Teacher saves his student's life by donating one of his KIDNEYS

A teacher has saved the life of a seriously ill pupil by giving her one of his kidneys


Ray Coe, 53, stepped in to rescue Alya Ahmed Ali, 13, after learning she was desperate for a donor. Ayla, from Stratford, east London, suffered from renal failure. She also has hydrocephalus - water on the brain - which has resulted in her having severe learning difficulties.Hero: Ray Coe, 53, stepped in to rescue pupil Alya Ahmed Ali, 13, after learning she was desperate for a donor

Her worried mother told Mr Coe during the summer term last year that Ayla  would be absent from school as she had to have kidney dialysis. Concerned, Mr Coe, a special educational needs co-ordinator, asked what he could do to help her. 'I said "Can I put my name down as a donor?" I knew what being a donor meant and I knew there was a possibility it could go ahead and I knew the implications. I knew exactly what I was doing.'There is a verse in the bible that says something like: "Maybe you were born for such a time as this". It just clicked and I knew then that it was right.'When we told Alya, she just gave me a big squeeze and her face lit up. It brings tears to my eyes whenever I think of that.'Gift: 'When we told Alya (with father Ahmed), she just gave me a big squeeze and her face lit up,' says Mr Coe. 'It brings tears to my eyes whenever I think of that'Gift: 'When we told Alya (with father Ahmed), she just gave me a big squeeze and her face lit up,' says Mr Coe. 'It brings tears to my eyes whenever I think of that'The pair went on to have blood tests and against all the odds, they showed that Ray was a match - despite not being related. The successful transplant went ahead at London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital in February.Both Alya and Mr Coe are now recovering well from the operation and are expected to return to school after the Easter break. Mr Coe said: 'For her parents, it’s not words that can express their gratitude. For them, I have saved their daughter’s life.Success: Both Alya and Mr Coe are now recovering well from the operation and are expected to return to school after the Easter breakSuccess: Both Alya and Mr Coe are now recovering well from the operation and are expected to return to school after the Easter break'It’s like I am another family member now.'Alya’s father, Ahmed Ali, 47, has hailed Mr Coe a 'hero and a lifesaver'. He said: 'Ray has given Alya much more than just the gift of life. He’s an amazing man, we owe him so much.'School headteacher Wendy Bower said: 'Mr Coe has gone above and beyond the call of duty with this selfless and noble act.'He is a very humble and modest man. The whole staff are in admiration for his kindness. He has given a new life to Alya and her whole family.'

No comments:

Post a Comment